What is a Velveteen Rabbit portrait?
Everybody has one or two (or seventeen or thirty-six) treasures stashed away somewhere -- too precious to throw away but not quite ready for prime time. I can take your memento and photograph it -- turning it into a cool, modern print you can see and love on your wall, instead of abandoning it to the dust bunnies. (Okay, no more allusions to rabbits/ bunnies/ hares, promise.) See below for suggestions.
You might want a portrait like this to...
· Bar Mitzvah or Bat Mitzvah
· Confirmation or First Holy Communion
· Moments in childhood
· Loved places
· A person important to you
· A significant accomplishment
These are called "Velveteen Rabbit portraits" because...
There is a child's book called The Velveteen Rabbit or How Toys Become Real. It tells of how when objects are well loved and worn, they become "real."
Maybe something like...
· A toy, a sports item, a special lovey
· Something symbolic about a person's work or achievement
· An object that represents a rite of passage
· Something symbolic about a person you love
· An object that reminds you of a goal, passion, or purpose
Here are some examples...
· The shoes your kid wore as a toddler. You keep thinking you should toss them, but every time you try, you tuck them back in the box.
· How about those shoes plus the shoes they're wearing now? Yep, that works. Makes me tear up a bit. Drats.
· The broach your Great-Aunt Helen always wore on her coat
· The very first trophy you won in tennis
· A large and unlovely lamp that sat in the corner of your grandfather's study